Wednesday 15 June 2016

A Day in My Life

My life is a constant mental roller coaster of ideas, plans, projects, consulting, writing, designing.  

I don't often get a day to myself, to just create- home alone with the solitude that creates, that is just what will allow a wealth of ideas to come to fruition.  Some ideas that require fleshing out; others needing to be explored, while some projects in need of completion.  

So follow me, while I take you through, what often becomes of my day to create. 


First thing after breakfast, I was going to start.  Putting things away in the fridge, I realized I had meant to clean it.  Half an hour later, with everything back in the fridge and the stainless steel doors cleaned and polished, I headed out the door with items for the recycle bin and another trip out with wilted veggies for the composter. Once out in the garden, it appeared it could use some attention, so, proceed to do some weeding; probably not more than 15 minutes, but, still a distraction. 
Back in the house,  I washed the dishes, finished cleaning the kitchen, pulled out the vacuum cleaner and did a quick tour through the house. 
I put everything back downstairs and returned to my computer and my plan to write.  

Checking email, I followed a few links of things I had been working on. One took me to a site I had been meaning to follow.  The next hour, I spent doing some writing, but, not what I had intended.  

Then, a noise at the door and I realized it was mid afternoon and my husband was home.

I wish I could say this was unusual for me - it's not.  I need a handler.  
Could you live such a life?  Could you take the uncertainty of where is the next project coming from? It certainly isn't easy at times.  There's all the angst any creative person suffers - is my work good enough?  Will anyone else ever want my services?  How can I get the next project started?  Why don't I take a 'real job'?  Yes, that question has been asked. 

A 'real job' would give me structure, a paycheque, perhaps a pension, advancement, etc. But, it would fulfill the deep seated longing to be spontaneous, flexible, available, and so, likely I'll continue to make my plans, get distracted, stumble my way through each day, some days quite successfully, others - not so much.  And periodically, a large project will come along that consumes my energies entirely and I love it, but, I also love when it ends.  

Would I change this life for another if I could?  Although on occasion, it occurs to me I may be more productive in a controlled environment, I think eventually I would lose the creative spark spontaneity brings. 
No, rigid structure and routine is not for me.   And although the stress of, what will I do next often jars me, I realize, this is the life I was meant to live.   And with God's help, I intend to live it to the fullest! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Privacy Policy

We value privacy, ours and yours; therefore, we will not sell or otherwise knowingly distribute any private information received by us from our contributors and/or subscribers.