Thursday 26 July 2012

My Friend, My Mentor


         A visit to a dear friend, living in a hospice, has me thinking of the journey of my business as well as my personal life. 

         This woman, who coached me through the incubation period of my business and continued to mentor me through her friendship, has left an indelible impression on both my professional and personal life.  We hadn't seen each other often lately, however, each encounter, whether it was in person, on the phone, email or facebook had been precious or funny or whimsical or commiserative.  What started as a purely business relationship morphed into a lasting friendship.          



         She moved away briefly a few years ago, to access more specialized medical care.  Her ability to see the sunshine wherever she landed was intriguing to me, especially since she was battling chronic diseases that would cause most people to isolate themselves from life. 

         What makes me bring her into my blog right now is not because of some breakthrough in business I have had due to her, nor is it because she is now living in a hospice.  No, my reason is to express my gratitude to her for being the positive role model and friend and mentor that she has been. 

         She now appears extremely weak and fatigued, yet her spirit is still as vibrant and as intact as ever.  The sense you get from sitting with her for a few minutes is of someone who is never going to let her circumstances dictate her outlook. One who has been on a journey and is waiting for the next phase to start.  I could go into all the reasons why she could be angry or bitter for her present condition; misdiagnosis, delayed treatment and on and on, but, I won’t.  No, I won’t, and the reason is that it would not be something she would want.  It would not honour her.   She may not be long in this world, but, she isn’t going to use whatever time she has left be spent in anger or bitterness for the lot she has been cast. 

         So, what can I (or anyone) learn from this? Quite simply, your outlook is your own.  You can choose to live in defeat or victory.  You can be content where you are while you work your way out of whatever challenge has come your way, or you can feel the weight of each challenge and cower from the battle.  Just a word from someone who has been there, the battle doesn’t last forever.  

         The one thing we were going to do together, that never came to fruition, was write a book.  I think I’ll get started on that now.

         Thank you Betty, for all you have been, for the tenacious fight for wellness, for the example you’ve shown in all circumstances, for the gentleness of spirit that never left you, no matter what!  And for the life you have lived!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Privacy Policy

We value privacy, ours and yours; therefore, we will not sell or otherwise knowingly distribute any private information received by us from our contributors and/or subscribers.