Thursday 28 April 2011

Incongruity

I'm trying in my own way to apply the principles of leaving a reduced carbon footprint.  I recycle whatever I can, reuse veggies to compost; reduce the amount that goes to the local landfill.  I also buy recycled copy paper, try not to print what I don't have to and buy products that are lean on packaging, collect and contribute aluminum can tabs to worthy causes.
So, with all of this going on in my home, imagine how happy I was to see my city promoting cisterns and compost bins in a flyer circulated with the community paper.  I had long been thinking of buying a water collection system of some kind to reduce the amount of water used on the gardens - a good thing.  And, I could purchase a cistern through this promotion.  It's very satisfying to see your own city getting involved. 
And then, I read the small print - printed in the USA on recycled paper!   With that logic, I'm sure the cisterns and composters were made in China (only guessing here as I decided to boycott this offer on principle).
Now, aside from acknowledging the flyer being printed on recycled paper, I'm trying to reconcile the incongruity.  What dedication can the city have to this ideal when they can't even get the promotional material printed locally?  Let alone the fact that the city is paying out our tax dollars to companies outside the City - and the Country!
So, I can hear you asking what has this got to do with my business?  
Incongruity is all around us!
The city is collecting tax dollars from us as landowners and they are charged with spending it in a prudent manner.  The printer in the USA may be cheaper, but, there is a greater ideal in play - a message is trying to be conveyed to the citizenry and it's failing in a big way!  Not only are there printers available in the city (local - fits in with reduced carbon footprint), but, those very printers likely pay taxes to this city and are being given a 'slap in the face' when it comes to the city getting business done.  Simply put, it's a case of do as I say, not as I do.   
This is the very message we need in our work-a-day world.  What is the message and is it congruent with our code of values?  Are your customers getting mixed messages?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Privacy Policy

We value privacy, ours and yours; therefore, we will not sell or otherwise knowingly distribute any private information received by us from our contributors and/or subscribers.